Archive material 2

cropped map 2

MAP 3.
Map of 1647. Sadly this map is not very clear. Lorthing is still the name of Lurucina. It seems to have been a copy of the 1573 map as the names of the villages still seems to be the same. Some of the 76 abandoned villages of 1572/3 were either re-occupied or just became ghost towns.

MAP 4.
Complete map of 1647

cropped map  1649 3

MAP 5.
This map of 1649 is hardly different from 1573. Though the Latin population had by this time had all but been destroyed, converted or fled, the map makers may have just copied older maps. Atirna (Athienou) has an interesting history as regards the fate of the Latins. Rupert Gunnis in his book "HISTORIC CYPRUS" first published on May 14th 1936 gives us an insight into the history of Athienou which being so close to Lurucina may give us some clue as to what may have happened immediately after the Ottoman's took control of the Island in 1571.
" All the inhabitants of this village of 150 houses ply the trade of muleteers, in Turkish Kiraji--The Turks call the place Kiraji-Keuy. According to an unauthenticated tradition these Kirajis are of distinguished ancestory, for they say that at the capture of Famagusta, after all the principal Venetians had been executed by the Turks, there were still a number of poorer nobles, to whom the victors, tired of bloodshed, granted their lives. Helpless and poor, without the means to return to Venice, to which their families were now for several generations strangers, these patricians turned to the calling of guides and muleteers".
Ross, 1846, Reisen nach der Insel Cypern, p. 23.
Rupert Gunnis, historic Cyprus 1936. Page 185

MAP 6
Complete map of 1649

Cropped map of 1703

MAP 7
Map of 1703. Though this map was drawn 130 years after Jacomo Franco's very rare map, printed in Venice in 1570, and copied by Abraham Ortelius, not much seems to have changed. It sadly seems to lack accuracy in the distance's between each village while Lymbia (Originally Olympia) and Petrophani is still not on the map.

The village of S Zorsi seems to derive its name from the distinguised Zorsi family or a Venetian Saint by the same name.
The following is not directly connected with Lurucina, however the situation in the surrounding villages just after the Ottoman invasion of 1570-71 may have some parallels to the conditions that effected Lurucina, and the neighbouring villages of S. Zorsi, Damalia, Mallura, and Athienou

The Community Council of Voroklini (History section)

This region seems to have been inhabited since ancient times, as it is witnessed by the intense utilisation of the mines and the mineral resources in the Troulloi region, especially of copper as well as Umbra (grey soil) and "white soil" (argil).

Grivaud, using sources of Mas Latrie, reports that the village along with other villages from the region had been abandoned during the 15th century. He also reports that the village, specifically, had been abandoned in 1572. These desertions were of a temporary character, as it is mentioned in Ottoman transcripts (defter-I-muufassal of 1572). The raids and the unstable socio-political conditions and also the epidemics are mentioned as the reasons for the abandonment (Grivaud, 218, 220).

Important historical venues that are reported (Goodwin) are the manor ("Tsifliki"-Ciftlik meaning big estate) of "Despotis" (south, between Voroklini and Pyla, probably destroyed by the raids of the Saracens (Machairas)), the manor of "Diazaena" ("Kafkalies" venue), the manor of "Santes" (within the village), "Agios Thomas" (St. Thomas) that is located about 1,5 km north of today's village, and "Agios Georgios tou Mavrovouniou" -about 1,5 km north of Agios Thomas. "Agios Georgios tou Mavrovouniou" was a feud also known under the name "San Zorzi". Mines of "grey soil" (Umbra) can also be found in this venue. The church in the region of Agios Thomas has been declared an ancient monument by the Antiquities Department. The graveyard in the "Lakkos tis Elias" (Pit of the olive tree) venue, which dates back to the Hellenic Era, has also been declared an ancient monument

MAP 8
Complete map of 1703

cropped map of 1705

Map 9
This map of 1705 like the others seem to have little change except for one important exception. The district borders are now been drawn and Lurucina/Lorthing is clearly in the Salaminia District (Nahiyeh) which is now the Larnaca District.
S. Zorzi, Damalia and Malura are still on the map.

MAP 10
Complete map of 1705 showing the 4 districts as Lapethia (now Nicosia). Salaminia (Now Larnaca) Paphia (Now Paphos) and Amathusia (now Limassol).

Crooped map of 1714-30

MAP 11
1714-1730. Petrophani and Lymbia is still not on the map. Visiting Petrophani in 1936 Rupert Gunnis vividly explains fhe fate of Mallura.
"A poor Turkish hamlet. Near the village is Mallura, the site of a temple, but it has been so ransacked by Lang and the villagers that little is left. A fragment of the floor can still be seen, and near by the ruins of a church, which was erected, as was so often the case, on the site of the heathen temple; a number of broken and defaced limestone statues have been built into its walls".

When mentioning Lang, Rupert Gunnis is referring to Sir Hamilton Lang, British consul, 1871-1877

"

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player